Hasn’t it been an exciting week with the new release? Having just joined the Design Team, I didn’t have the new products in time for this posting. I thought that I would use my Mermaid stamps one more time before I reluctantly let summer go and jump into fall. It’s still hot here in Texas, so we tend to stretch our summer out a little longer anyway.
Today’s project started with the sweet mermaid and the bottle from the Swimming By and Message In A Bottle stamp sets and matching Dies. I stamped the images on Tim Holtz’s Distress Watercolor Paper with Ranger’s Black Archival Ink and painted with Mijello Mission Gold watercolors. I added eyes to the mermaid with a Pigma Micron Pen, some green paint, a black Sakura Gelly Roll Pen, and a white Signo Pigment Pen.
Using the Color My World set, and coordinating Dies, I stamped the sentiment with Versamark ink on black cardstock and heat embossed with Ranger’s White Embossing Powder. To avoid stray powder speckles it is important to prep your paper with an anti static powder tool, like the EK Success Applicator, especially when working on dark paper. The word “color” was stamped, watercolored, die cut three more times, and stacked for added dimension. I also stamped and painted a variety of shells, again using theMessage In A Bottle and Zen Ocean sets. I have the matching Dies but I didn’t want white borders so I fussy cut them using my beloved Cutter Bee Precision Scissors. I just got the Uchida Double-Edged Jewel Picker. Wow…just wow! It has replaced my tweezers for picking up and moving around all those tiny little pieces…seriously!
I used the technique, that I used in my previous post, to color and age the glass bottle. Using a piece of thin plastic packaging, an applicator tool, and Tim Holtz’s Caramel and Bottle Alcohol Inks, I lightly applied color to half of the plastic. The Blending Solution can be used to lighten the color and add streaks and bubbles. I cut the bottle shape with the Message In A Bottle die and then glued the film shut, trapping the sticky ink inside.
The background was stamped using the Ocean Borders set. I added dimension to the bottle by stacking and glueing three more die cuts together using a fine tip Nuvo Glue Pen. The plastic film was glued under the top layer of the bottle with Glossy Accents.
I attached all the bits and pieces to the background with Multi Matte Medium. Some pieces were given added dimension using Scotch Foam Tape. To finish, I added white Fun Foam to the back using plenty of 1/4” Score Tape. Black cardstock was cut and scored for the base.
Thank you for once again sharing your creative time with me. I don’t have a blog yet but you are welcome to follow my Instagram account here, @jadanchik, to see other pieces that I have created.